Previous Pioneers of Ontario (1923) Next

 

FROM FATHER TO SON   271

to-day, and owner of half the original two hundred acres, because he is one of the few men in Ontario who has done real forestry work on his own farm. Mr. Frankish has planted some thousands of pine trees on his holding. I1iany of these young pines are Scotch and therefore exempt from claim by the Crown. But many are of the white variety and thus come within the reservation noted. Mr. Frankish has, there-fore, performed a very special service for the hing as well as his country by his planting activities.

There is, apparently, no record in the deed of any monetary payment to the Crown for the land allotted, but the deed did require the erection thereon of "a good and sufficient dwelling" and residence for the space of at least one year.

There is on the Widdifield homestead another memorial of the early days. This is part of the old "Uxbridge Trail"that once wound across lots from where the town of Uxbridge now stands to Yonge Street—the weary road that early settlers followed with ox-teams on their way to and from market in Toronto. This trail to-day forms part of a lane leading from the Widdifield residence to a pond that, up to a few years ago, furnished a reservoir of power for one of the pioneer saw-mills of the district.

There is an interesting story connected with this old mill. "At one time," said Mr. Widdifield, "there were thirteen cottages surrounding the mill site and the occupants of these cottages worked in three eight-hour shifts in the mill,


Previous Pioneers of Ontario (1923) Next