Previous Pioneers of Ontario (1923) Next

 

270   THE PIONEERS OF OLD ONTARIO

ilies included the Lundys, James, Kesters, Goulds, Doans, Wilsons, Haines, and Widdifields. The Widdifields came from New Jersey, but the majority of the others were from Pennsylvania.

Mr. J. W. Widdifield, descended from the Chapmans on one side and the Widdifields on the other, holds as the most prized among his collection of relics of the early days the original deed granted to his great-great-grandfather Chapman. And a quaint document it is, the wax seal being almost as large as a saucer; and the document itself, written on parchment, is as legible as the day on which it was signed by Alexander Grant, President and Administrator of the Government of Upper Canada, and Peter Russell.

The original deed was for two hundred acres, and in addition to the land, it covered, "all woods and waters thereon," and "all mines of gold and silver." But there were two notable reservations. All the white pine then growing on the place, and all of the same timber that might thereafter grow thereon, was reserved for King George III. and his descendants. The other reservation provided that in ease the land was disposed of by sale, will, or otherwise, the new owner must within twelve months thereafter take the required "oath or affirmation of allegiance, etc.," otherwise the grant was to be null and void and the property was to be vested in the Crown as if never granted.

The first of these reservations at least has a peculiar interest for Mr. T. B. Frankish, of Toronto, an uncle of the Mr. Widdifield of


Previous Pioneers of Ontario (1923) Next