NATURAL HISTORY, TORONTO REGION
the bottom of a pothole, by the advancing icecap of a new commercial age.*
The Peabody of " Little York " was Jesse Ketchum, a Buffalo tanner whose memory should serve as a bond between these sister cities so nearly akin in all but nationality. He owned the land between Yonge, Adelaide (then Newgate), Bay and Queen (then Lot) Streets, and supplied sites for eight or ten churches and other religious edifices within this district. All are now gone—the last to be removed being Knox Church from Queen Street West to its present beautiful building on Spadina Avenue. The failure to secure the former site and the rest of the block as a Court Square was one of the most extraordinary oversights in town-planning that even Toronto can show. Opposite to St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church on King Street West another opportunity was lost. Here three squares were public property and were largely free from buildings. A site for a Court of Honour like that which Cleveland is spending millions to acquire lay ready to hand and might have been secured for a few hundred thousands. But Jesse Ketchum died in 1867 and his example has been followed by few of Toronto's wealthy citizens. A Guild of Civic Art exists, and, with the aid of one public-spirited alder-man, has made a start in restoring the old lake-side
*A boulder of the drift, lifting itself up through the natural turf, served as a desk for the recording clerk of the first Parliament of Upper Canada.—Scadding, "Toronto of Old," p. 29.