NATURAL HISTORY, TORONTO REGION
rites, and " resembled a high-piled house of cards." Sharon was some distance north of the city, but the leader used to drive into town periodically with his seraphic band, and treat the citizens to a procession of the " Children of Peace," followed by a sermon on the depravity of public affairs. By virtue of their name let them live in David's record " one day more," recalling, like the tufa hills in the Hackensack Valley, an outburst of long-forgotten fervour.
The archiepiscopal church of St. Michael has been compared to York Minster, and has stained glass windows that came from Munich, although they do not equal those in the Frauenkirche. Among the Anglican places of worship the most notable are the mother church of St. James, whose spire (316 feet) was for years the highest on the continent, the cathedral of St. Albans in process of erection, and Arch-deacon Cody's beautiful new Gothic church of St. Paul's, the third enlargement (a definitive edition, let us hope) of that " house of prayer " since 1900. The Metropolitan Methodist Church is beautifully placed in Magill Square on Queen Street East, and has one of the largest organs in America. This imposing pile has the distinction of having set the fashion for large and handsome churches in Toronto, and is itself due to the good taste of the late Rev. William Morley Punshon, afterwards President of the Wesleyan body in England. Many other beautiful and