born on the 13t1i of March, 1840, at North Dumfries township, County of Waterloo. He AA-as educated at the public schools, and at the Galt Grammar School, and after-,yards began the study of medicine under Dr. Husband, of Galt, now of Hamilton. In 1863 he entered the Homeopathic College, New fork, and graduated in 1866. Returning to Canada, lie was licensed by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, and began the practice of his profession in Stratford. He then removed to Guelph, where he has practiced for twenty-five years. Dr. Cowan has been most successful in his profession, and has patented several medical and mechanical contrivances, by which he is widely known in Ontario. He is an elder of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, a member of the Board of Management, and deeply interested in the denomination. He is a member of the A.O.L'.W., C.O.F., Select Knights, and other organizations. In politics he is a Liberal. He was married on the 8th of August, 1871, to Effie, daughter of William Simpson, Guelph.