was educated at the Grammar schools of Ancaster, Guelph, Hamilton and Dundas. After receiving a thorough education, he decided to acquire practical knowledge and entered as apprentice at \Vest Point foundry, New York, remaining there from 1854 to 1858. Returning to Dundas, he went into business with his father, when he removed in 187o to Hamilton, where he was first engaged in making castings for railways, until in 1876 he began the making of cast iron pipes for water, sewer and gas purposes. The business has now become very extensive, amounting to over twelve thousand tons per annum, and employing one hundred and fifty men. Mr. Gartshore is a member of the Central Presbyterian Church, was manager for a period of five years, and is at present a trustee. He was married June 6th, 1866, to Miss Isabel Hendrie. Mr. Gartshore is a Conservative in politics, and a member of the Masonic body, and is one of the most highly respected business men of the flourishing city of Hamilton.