REV. RICHARD HARRISON, M A.,
rector of St. Matthias Church, Toronto,
was born in that city February 25th, 1842. His father was Richard Harrison, formerly of Skegarvey, County of Monaghan, Ireland. He was educated at Trinity University, where he graduated in 1861, taking high class honors, in classics and mathematics. He received the degree of M.A. in 1864, was ordained deacon in the Church of England in 1865, and priest in 1866. In 1867 he was appointed assistant curate at St. George's, Toronto, and in 1867 went to England, and became assistant curate of the Anglican Church at Stratton, St. Margaret's. Returning to Canada in 1868, he became missionary successively at Beverley, Woodbridge and Vaughan, where he remained five years. In 1873 he came to Toronto and took charge of the mission parish of St. Matthias —since the " mother " of several churches. In 1877 he was delegate to the Provincial Synod at Montreal. Mr. Harrison was married to Cealia Maria, daughter of William Leslie, of Puslinch, Out., in 187o. He wrote " The British Catholic Church " and other tractates.