tered Glasgow University, going from
Paisley to attend classes at five a.m.
In his twenty-third year, two gentlemen
in Cincinnati, Ohio, offered him means
to enter the ministry. Accepting the
proposal, he entered Hanover College,
Indiana, in 1854, and graduated with
the highest honours in 18J7. After-
wards he studied theology, under Drs.
Hodge and Alexander, at Princeton,
N. J., and in 1859 was ordained as
pastor in Jersey City. In 1562 he ac-
cepted the call to Brantford, where he
has since remained, in spite of invita-
tions to Boston, New York, Chicago,
Detroit,Toronto, Newburyport and other