the province, which are still under the control of the Dominion parliament. Special provision was made, too, to satisfy the claims of the half-breeds, a large amount of land (1,400,000 acres) being reserved for them. The provincial government was to consist of a lieutenant-governor, legislative council, and an assembly of twenty-four members. In 1875 the legislative council was abolished ; and Manitoba has now (1897) a single chamber of forty members. The Manitoba Act was formally accepted by the "pro-visional government" of Reel River on the 23rd of June, 1870, and on the same day an Imperial order-in-council was issued, which provided that Rupert's Land and the North-West Territory—including, of course, Manitoba should, from and after July 15th, 1870, form part of the Dominion of Canada.
The Red River Expedition.—The Hon. Adams G. Archibald was appointed first lieutenant-governor of the province, and