Previous The History of the Dominion of Canada (1897) Next

 

HISTORY OF CANADA.   267

The Assembly Dissolved.—Upon this educational question the lack of harmony in the ministry made itself manifest. The council was hopelessly divided. The attorney-general (Hon. J. W. Johnston) led the old section, which favored a continuation of the sectarian system. The agitation throughout the province became very pronounced, and the ministers were drawn into direct personal antagonism. At this juncture Lord Falkland dissolved the assembly and brought on a new election. The result was to leave in doubt, until the new House should meet, to which side victory had inclined.

Canada—Metcalfe and his Ministry.—Sir Charles Metcalfe, before coming to Canada, had spent some years in India,

where the word of the British official was law. In private life he was a most kindly gentleman of estimable character. In the conduct of public affairs in Canada, he evinced from the beginning a determination to lead his executive council, instead of being guided by their advice. He sought counsel openly of men well known to be hostile to his ministers. They had signalized their advent to office by advising that pardons

should be granted to those impli-

cated in the outbreaks of 1837.   SIR CHARLES METCALFE. The advice was followed (except

in the case of Mackenzie), but, it was said, grudgingly. As the session of 1843 progressed, it was openly reported that the governor had no confidence in his ministers. Appointments to office were made without regard to the wishes of the ministry, and, finally,

additional three were; St Francois Xavier (1854), Roman Catholic; Mt. Allison (1862), Wesleyan ; and the Halifax University (1876), modelled after that of London, Eng.—the last substantial effort at unification. After 1880 this University and St. Mary's College collapsed. The Presbyterian Theological College, established in 1820 in affiliation with the original Pictou Academy, after thr.;o changes of location, finally settled down in 1878 at Pine Hill. In 1850 t:ie CoiIJ„o d, Ste. Anne, French Roman Catholic, was established in Digby County.

Picture

Previous The History of the Dominion of Canada (1897) Next