of St. Croix (now Doucett's or Neutral Island), at the mouth of the River St. Croix, which forms part of the present boundary line between New Brunswick and the State of Maine. Here a somewhat pretentious array of fort, barracks, and officers' quarters was constructed. Here, too, after a summer spent in exploring the coast, Champlain wintered (1604-1605) with de Monts and his colonists. Penned in upon the small island, the little company fell a prey to scurvy, and nearly one-half of them were dead before spring. After a vain search southward along the New England shore for a spot to their liking, it was determined to remove the colony to Port Royal, where, after erecting the necessary buildings, the diminished colony passed the next two years.