Previous Index Next



Stores were off-loaded in the sheds alongside, a guard placed, and the bulk of the regiment embarked in ferries and were taken across the river to Levis, where the force remained in training until such time as the thirty thou-sand men who composed the First Canadian Contingent were ready to proceed overseas. The disappointment to the men of the Princess Patricia's was severe. They had confidently relied on the promises freely made at the time of enlistment that they were to proceed directly overseas for the immediate reinforcement of General French's "Contemptible Little Army," and to find themselves thus "cribbed, cabined, and confined" was a severe test to the entire regiment.

Some four weeks later, on September 27th, the Princess Patricia's again embarked, this time on the Royal George, and, with the other vessels of the Canadian Armada, proceeded to the mobilizing area at Gaspe Bay. Here the escort also had assembled, and on October 3rd, at 3.30 p.m., the entire fleet put out to sea—thirty transports escorted by H.M.S. Eclipse, H.M.S. Diana, H.M.S. Talbot, and H.M.S. Charybdis, the latter flying the flag of Rear-Admiral Wemyss, to whose charge the entire fleet had been committed.

On Wednesday, October 14th, Eddystone Lighthouse was sighted at noon, and that same day the entire fleet came to anchor in the Hamoaze at Plymouth although the sailing instructions had given Southampton as the destination. This divergence from orders was due to the presence of German "U" boats in the Channel, and occasioned great disappointment to thousands of people who had gathered at Southampton to welcome Canadain-arms. Arrangements thus dislocated, it was three days before the regiment could disembark, and its destination was then Bustard Camp on Salisbury Plain.

For nearly a month the regiment fretted itself under exceedingly trying conditions, due largely to the continuous rains that made the camp ground a sea of mud. But early in November a welcome move was made to

Previous Index Next