Previous Index Next



His Majesty the King, accompanied by Earl Roberts and Kitchener, reviewed the Division on November 4th. It was a dull cheerless clay, but, as the King stepped forward to acknowledge the Royal Salute, the sun burst forth through a rift in the scudding clouds and flashed like a searchlight across a sea of gleaming wet bayonets. Thirty thousand of his most loyal subjects passed in review before His Majesty the King that day, most of them for the first time, some of them for the last time, for in the three short months that elapsed before his next visit many had been awarded the "little wooden cross.

On November 9th, 350 men of the Canadian Contingent took part in the Lord Mayor's procession in London. They represented every unit and were under the command of Colonels V. A. S. Williams and F. Reid. This same day saw a more important event—the departure for France of No. 2 Stationary Hospital. This small body of troops and nursing sisters was the first Canadian military force to cross the Channel, and their departure filled the Canadians generally with a longing to follow in their steps, but much training was still necessary, and for three more weary months the mud of Salisbury Plain had to be endured.

In December, the end and 3rd Infantry Brigades occupied the new camp at Lark Hill, and the 4th Brigade, which was to become the Infantry Base, Sling Plantation. Lark Hill Camp lay almost opposite Stonehenge, within two miles of Amesbury, north of the road connecting that village with the Salisbury-Devizes road. Sling Plantation, Camp was virtually an addition to Bulford Camp and received its name from a narrow grove of trees in whose shelter the camp had been erected. Both camps consisted of newly constructed hutments of corrugated iron on a wooden framework, raised a few feet above the ground on cement foundation pillars.

With the exception of the 1st Infantry Brigade, all the units had been moved by the 15th of December. The

Previous Index Next