British Red Cross Society. The Dominion Government also appropriated $100,000 for the installation and operation of a Hospital at Dinard, known as the "Canadian Hospital."
This by no means exhausts the list of hospitals endowed by Canadian contributions. For example, the Queen Mary Military Hospital at Shorncliffe has been generously supported, but the contributions are merged in the table with those to the Canadian War Contingent Association to be mentioned later on. The enumeration, however, will serve to indicate the extent of the sums contributed and the varied nature of their objects.
An institution that calls for mention in this connection is the Military Hospitals Commission, established by the Dominion Government in 1915. The Commission's main responsibility is the care of sick and disabled soldiers on their return to Canada, the supervision of their convalescence, their training in new occupations where that is necessary by reason of the nature of their disablement, and their transfer to civilian life in the most efficient way possible. An elaborate organization, it will be seen, is necessary for so important and many-sided a task, which ranges from medical attendance to co-operation with provincial employment agencies in passing on the re-covered to places of usefulness in the community. The Commission relies for its main support upon the Government, but it has also been the recipient of private gifts. These, on March 31st, 1917, amounted to $130,444.71, a total which does not include certain loans of equipment which have helped greatly in the hospital work. The Commission, it may be added, was operating in the summer of 1917 no fewer than fifty-seven hospitals and had the services of thirty-seven others under partial requisition. The donations of furniture and supplies to institutions like the Sandford Fleming Home at Ottawa are included in the figures above mentioned, but no account is taken of the voluntary services of nurses and attendants, which would bring them much higher.