Previous Index Next



umn, and became prisoners of war. According to some accounts but one man escaped; according to others, five or six. After the fight Colonel Bisshopp arrived with an additional force, and was able to report to the Commanderin-Chief the capture of over 500 Americans, two guns, two ammunition and supply wagons, and the colours of the 14th United States Regiment.

The fight had continued for over three hours, and during that time Boerstler lost fifty-six men killed and wounded. The entire loss of the British was among the Indians. Many were wounded, and one Delaware chief, one Chippewa chief, two Caughnawaga war chiefs, one Nipissing war chief, and five warriors from St. Regis were killed.

There has been a difference of opinion with regard to the details of the Battle of Beaver Dams, Captain Kerr claiming that none but Indians took part in the attack on the Americans. FitzGibbon also seems to have held this view, for he wrote to Kerr some years later: "Not a shot was fired on our side by any but the Indians. They beat the American detachment into a state of terror, and the only share I claim is taking advantage of the favour-able moment to offer them protection from the tomahawk and scalping knife." However, there is good evidence that the fifteen men of the 2nd Lincoln militia under Lieut.-Col. Thomas Clark took an active part in the fight.

Shortly after the skirmish at Beaver Dams, Major-General Francis de Rottenburg succeeded Major-General Sheaffe as Administrator of Upper Canada, and also relieved Major-General Vincent of the command of the troops on the Niagara frontier. About the same time, General Boyd replaced General Dearborn in command of the United States army. During the remainder of the summer, what fighting there was in this theatre of war was of a desultory character. On December 10th, when the weather was unusually severe, the United States force under Brigadier-General McClure, abandoned Fort George and withdrew to Fort Niagara after burning the town of

Previous Index Next