Previous Index Next



days elapsed before the force, which was subjected to a brisk cannonade from the batteries of the city, found itself securely intrenched on the high ground opposite Quebec. On the night of July 12th, Monckton's batteries were completed and the bombardment was begun with six heavy guns and five mortars, supported by several vessels in the harbour.

In the meantime the other two brigades, a part of the rangers and artillery, and a body of grenadiers had disembarked on the island of Orleans. The grenadiers consisted of 300 men, belonging to the 22nd, 40th, and 45th regiments, and were commanded by Colonel Guy Carleton, afterwards Lord Dorchester and Governor of Canada. General Townshend's brigade, which, on July 9th, was transferred to a position on the left bank of the River Montmorency, consisted of the 28th and 47th regiments, together with a battalion of the 60th or Royal lu-nericans, and numbered 1,450 men. The remaining brigade, under General Murray, was made up of the 35th and 58th regiments, with another battalion of the 60th, amounting to 1,900 men.

At the Montmorency, where General Townshend's brigade was encamped, Wolfe had caused batteries and redoubts to be established. From these the left of the French line of intrenchments was cannonaded, while frequent approaches for the same purpose were made by the smaller armed craft of the British. During July several detachments of troops were passed above the city and either landed at or threatened various points where the French had established defensive positions or depots of stores. As a result of these movements the French batteries along the north shore above Quebec were strengthened, and a force of observation under Bougainville was detached to guard the river bank.

Meantime, Montcalm persisted in remaining behind his lines, and Wolfe, realizing that his success depended upon his ability to draw the French into a general action, at-tempted, on July 31st, to force the extreme left of Mont-

Previous Index Next