Previous Index Next



the intervening country, it was impossible for Webb to give prompt aid to the garrison, had he felt disposed to do so. He wrote to Monro telling him that help could not be sent until the arrival of reinforcements of colonial militia, which were expected daily, and counselling him to hold out as long as possible, and if compelled to surrender, to secure the best terms he could.

On August 3rd, Montcalm formally summoned Monro to surrender, but Monro refused, and resisted as long as his guns, ammunition, and provisions held out, hoping for relief from Webb. But, on the morning of the 9th, a white flag was displayed on the fort, and on the same day the English garrison, conformably to the articles of capitulation, moved into the intrenched camp, preparatory to retiring upon Fort Edward. They had lost about 350 killed and wounded. A detachment of 300 French troops, with officers as interpreters, as well as two chiefs belonging to each of the various tribes, were to accompany the paroled prisoners to Fort Edward, and to protect them from the Indians; but the latter could not be restrained, and, attacking the prisoners, slew a number and carried off many others. The captives were eventually purchased by the French and sent to Halifax. This massacre has been the subject of much discussion, and it seems evident that the French did not take proper precautions to ensure the safety of the paroled garrison.

Montcalm had intended to attack Webb at Fort Ed-ward, but, after the affair at William Henry, found himself in no position for such an undertaking. He had not the necessary transport, supplies were running short, the Canadian militia had to be sent home to harvest the crops, and hundreds of the Indian allies, satisfied with the scalps and plunder they had taken, returned to their villages. So, after destroying the captured British fort, Montcalm retired, and distributed the regular troops among the garrisons of the French forts along Lake Champlain and the Richelieu river.

Owing to the failure of the British operations of 1757,

Previous Index Next