the approach of their countrymen. No living inhabitant was found, except one very old man.
As the wily Indians would not make a stand, all that the French could do was to destroy the neighbouring villages, and all the standing crops. On August 9th, the return journey was begun, and the force reached Montreal after a march of eleven days. Only four men were lost by the French during this expedition, of whom three perished on their way homeward in one of the rapids of the St. Lawrence. The immediate consequence of this expedition was to impose upon the Iroquois a period of famine and distress, and as scarcity in the English colonies hindered them from obtaining aid there, they were soon impelled to resume negotiations for peace.
During the period of strife, Hudson Bay was the frequent scene of armed conflict. In 1691, a French frigate was despatched to the Bay, and appeared before Fort Nelson when most of the Company's employes were absent on various inland trading expeditions. The Governor, Phipps, realizing that a successful defence was impossible, destroyed the fort by fire, and retired into the wilderness. In 1692, Fort Nelson, re-named York Factory, was rebuilt by the Hudson's Bay Company, and from this base an expedition was despatched in the following spring against the French at Fort Albany. The party met with an easy success, and the French trading post was transferred to the British flag.
In September, 1692, d'Iberville once more arrived at the mouth of the Hayes river, near Fort Nelson, with two French frigates, the Joli and the Salamander. After a gallant defence, extending over a period of three weeks, Governor Bayly, in charge of the post, was compelled to surrender, d'Iberville spending the winter at Fort Nelson, and re-naming it Fort Bourbon.
In 1696, Captain William Allen, an officer of the Hudson's Bay Company, arrived in the bay with two ships, the Bonaventure and the Seaforth. Fort Nelson was promptly attacked, and at the conclusion of a couple of