sixty-fourth (that is, seventeen sixty-fourths) of an inch to the square.
(b) On every engine equipped with a diamond stack, the mesh shall not be more than 3 x 3 per inch of No. 10 Birmingham wire gauge, and shall be placed at the flare of the diamond of the stack, so as to cover the same completely, the openings of said mesh not to exceed three-sixteenths and one sixty-fourth (that is, thirteen sixty-fourths) of an inch to the square.
3. Every such railway company shall cause:
The openings of the ash pans on every locomotive engine used on the railway, or portion of railway, operated or being constructed by it, to be covered, when practicable, with heavy sheet iron dampers ; and, if not practicable, with screen netting dampers 2% x 2% per inch of No. 10 Birmingham wire gauge, such dampers to be fastened either by a heavy spring or by a split cotter and pins, or by such other method as may be approved by the Board.
Overflow pipes from lifting injectors, or from water pipes from injector-delivery pipe, or from boiler, to be put into the front and back part of the ash pans and used from the first day of April to the first day of November, or during such portion of this period as the Board may prescribe, for wetting ash pans.
4. Every such railway company shall provide inspectors at terminal or divisional points where its locomotive engines are housed and re-paired ; and cause them, in addition to the duties to which they may be assigned by the officials of the railway companies in charge of such terminal or divisional points,
(a) To examine at least once a week,
(6) Any other fire-protective appliance or appliances used on any and all engines running into the said terminal or divisional points.
(b) To keep a record of every inspection in a book to be furnished by the railway company for the purpose, showing:
The numbers of the engines inspected;
The date and hour of day of such inspection;
(3) The condition of the said fire-protective appliances and arrangements, and
(4) A record of repairs made in any of the above-mentioned fire-protective appliances.
The said book to be open for inspection by any authorized officer of the Board.
(c) In case any of the said fire-protective appliances in any loco-motive are found to be defective, said locomotive shall be removed from service and shall not (during said prescribed period) be re-turned to service, unless and until such defects are remedied.