and the council. It lasted for many MAJOR J. r. W. DESBARRES,
and in the end, as we shall (First Lieutenant-Governor years, > of Cape Breton.)
see, the council had to give' way.
In 1788 the little inland village of St. Fredericton. Ann's, now called Fredericton, was made the seat of government instead of St. John. A number of disbanded soldiers had settled there, but the new capital grew very slowly.
The Island Several hundred Loyalists went to the of St. John. island of St. John, and were settled on certain lands which had been taken from their former owners because they had not paid the quit-rents.
The population was still very small, for hardly any colonists had been brought out even yet; and a violent quarrel had sprung up, in which Governor Patterson, the assembly, and the former land-owners all took part. The latter wanted to have their lost grants given back