EARLY VIEW OF FORT PRINCE OF WALES.
Near Fort Churchill, on the west shore of Hudson Bay, It was built by the Hudson's Bay Company, its construction (begun in 1743) being under the direction of Samuel Hearne, the noted explorer. Its massive stone walls were surmounted by forty-two cannon.
plorers was not all in vain. They opened new trade-routes, and built many trading-posts in the wilderness, including one on the site of the modern city of Winnipeg; and the king rewarded La Verendrye by bestowing upon him the Cross of the Order of St. Louis. With this exception, neither he nor his family received honour or profit for their services.,.